By connecting to the Internet with your smartphone or computer, you transmit personal data via websites and apps. These could be used without your knowledge, especially if you do not take sufficient precautions. From the password to securing your purchases on the web, discover how to also deal with the risks of hacking, for example phishing, password theft by following a few simple tips from toto.
How to create an effective password?
- First of all avoid your date of birth or that of children, grandchildren, their first names, the name of your pet or your wedding date! This is called the anonymous password. This password should not say anything about you or be hung up on any personal information.
- The secure password must have 12 characters. This number can be reduced if there are other measures of protection of the site: test recognition of images, characters, need to enter an identifier sent by SMS.
- The password includes numbers, letters (lowercase and uppercase), special characters (€, *) or punctuation.
- If the site offers a double authentication, accept it. The site will inform you by email or phone if someone connects to your account from a new terminal.
- Renew your passwords regularly especially on sites where sensitive data is stored (banks, inbox).
- You then have to remember your passwords because it takes a specific for each site consulted! The option has created a password generator. Choose an easy-to-remember phrase and use the first letter of each word to get your password.
The good reflexes:
Never click on a link asking you to identify yourself on a personal space (reliable sites, banks … do not ask you).
An email seems doubtful: do not open the links it contains or the attachments.
Find the extensions that can cause problems: .exe, .vbs, .Ink, .bat, .pif.
Always delete emails with approximate French, misspellings … Type the message as “junk” or “phishing”. It will be blocked by your operator.
You have a doubt? Contact your bank or the organization that is supposed to have sent you the email to find out what it is. Feel free to forward them the email concerned.
Maliciousness and fake sites
The malware will put your computer system at risk. It can be hidden in a free download software or in a USB key. Your solution: only install software from reliable sources, connect a USB stick that you know the owner.
You must control the distribution of your personal information. False websites are multiplying and anonymity is not the specialty of the web. Avoid leaving sensitive data, passwords, contact details, means of payment) on unsecured forums or websites (see below Internet shopping).
There is a free platform that helps you and accompanies you to protect you from cyber risk. It was launched in October by the National Agency for Security Information Systems (ANSSI) in co-piloting with the Ministry of the Interior.
Smartphone: protect your connections
Delete the geolocation in the setting parameters. Activate it only when you need to find your way to an unknown place.